Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book Review--My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions


My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions by Becca Wilhite. The cover has intrigued me for awhile now and I finally picked it up. I'm glad I did. This fun, cute story had me smiling from the beginning to the end. I loved how Becca was able to capture the feelings and emotions of the college age, especially after a heartbreak. I loved meeting and getting to know the characters. This is a bookI would recommend for anyone. It rates a :):):):):).Here's a blurb about the book and Becca was kind enough to answer some questions for us. Take a look and let me know what you think!

Sarah Howard's first year at the university is everything and nothing she expected especially when a very cute boy named Ben in her Art History class starts to show interest in her.

Sarah feels like she's an average, normal, everyday girl. So, when Ben (to whom she secretly refers as Adonis because she thinks he could be a Greek god) begins to take interest in her, Sarah is in denial. For one thing, last year she was deeply crushed and humiliated by Jesse James a guy who she thought liked her.

She's determined not to get burned again. But in her heart of hearts, what she
really wants is a Jane Austen kind of romance. Ridiculous, right? That kind of romance doesn t exist anymore . . . or does it? Sarah is smart and fun to be around and even pretty, despite her Medusa-like red curls. She even plays the guitar. (So does Ben!) Yes, Sarah is everything Ben has wanted. He's crazy for her, but Sarah is just not getting it. She's playing hard to get, and if she s not careful, she s going to lose a real hot gentleman -- her 21st-century Mr. Darcy.




What made you decide to become a writer?
I love books, and I love stories. I guess I thought, "Why not get in   on this?" So I tried it. And it turns out to be a whole lot of work,   but really, really fun work (most days). I think a lot of us feel like   we have stories inside us, but we just need a push to get them out.
Who inspires you?
Loads of people inspire me to different things, but I'm assuming you   mean writing-wise. So the Husband inspires me to get to it every day,   and the Kids inspire me by laughing at what I read them. Writer   friends inspire me by their extraordinary creations, and having a   community of writers is such an important thing (we tend to become a   little solitary, with our hair growing long and tangled as we sit   inside our caves scratching out poetry in the darkness. Oh, does that   not happen to most people?) Okay, back to writers who inspire me by   their writing? Sharon Creech. Kate DiCamillo. Terry Pratchett. Leif   Enger. Markus Zusak.
What would you like your readers to get out of your writing?
I want people to laugh at this book. It is supposed to be ridiculous.   Hence, the title. I love a book that - when I put it down - makes me   sigh, "Life is pretty great." Even if I have to slog through some hard   parts to get to that point. So I guess I'd like to bring a laugh and a   sigh.
Where did this idea come from?
Sometimes I think I'd like to crack open someone's head and look at   the insides - what makes them tick. (Don't be gross. I'm being   metaphorical.) Sarah's character seemed to funny to explore from the   inside, since she's such a clueless wreck and so, so insecure. If you   don't believe a character can be so stupid and so smart at the same   time, well, clearly you've never been me.
Who was your favorite character to develop?
I adore the voices inside Sarah's head. They are so... familiar.
Any advice for aspiring authors?
Read. Read. Read. Write. Write. Write. Let someone else read what   you've written. Then write it again. Times ten.
What can we expect next from you?
I'm working on something Totally New (I like to make my life sound   like an over-the-top radio ad, whenever possible) but I don't have any   contracts attached to it yet. I promise I'll let you know when there's   something to know!
Where can we purchase your book?
I think it's everywhere, and I know indie bookstores are awesome at   ordering if you ask them for it. It's also online here and there, for   those of us who don't like to leave the house if we can at all help   it. (That was a joke. Outside = goodness.)
THANKS BECCA!

No comments:

Post a Comment