Thursday, October 27, 2011

Book Review--No Angel


No Angel by Theresa Sneed. I remember seeing something about this book on my writing groups critique line awhile back. It snatched my interest then and I couldn't wait to read the entire story. Sometimes when I anticipate a book like that, I find I'm let down. You know, you hype it up so much that nothing can come close to what you imaged? Well, this book held up to what I imagined from the first page to the last. Jonathan was so Grinch-like that you have to love him. His journey through a world he did not want anything to do with had me laughing, crying, and gave me chills. This is definitely a book I will not only read again, but convince everyone around me they have to read it too. It receives a :):):):):) Here's a blurb and an interview with Theresa. Take a look and let me know what you think!
An angel with an attitude

Jonathan Stewart is not at all happy about having to return to earth
as a guardian angel, but it's required of all post-mortal spirits to
fulfill at least one angel guardianship. Fortunately, on the Guardians
Unlimited application, he had the good sense to request a client
with early-marked-death status, so he believes that while his stay
on earth will be most unpleasant, at least it will be short.
What he doesn t know is that a spirit with EMD status can choose his or
her time of death! Jonathan's client, Celeste Knight, has a mind of
her own and refuses death at every turn, leaving him stuck as her
guardian angel in a place he only wanted to forget.




  • What made you decide to become a writer?

That’s easy—I’ve always loved the connection between words and life. I remember as a young teen spending hours in my hometown library in Dover-Foxcroft Maine, just leafing through whatever book caught my fancy. I’d seek for passages that gave my life meaning and then copy them down by hand and tack them on my bedroom wall. And I loved getting lost in a good book that made me feel like a heroine or like I could overcome every obstacle in my path.

  • Who inspires you?

Good people inspire me of all walks of life and faiths. As far as writers go—of course, any scriptural writings, but beyond that, I love any fictional books that make me ponder and reflect. Believe it or not, for me, the writings of Tolkien, most C.S. Lewis, and the Bronte sisters, are among my favorites. As far as modern day writers go, I’m a huge fan of Steven King. Even though I shy away from his writings, I recognize his genius.

  • What would you like your readers to get out of your writing?

More than anything, I’d like my readers to consider the possibilities of there actually being a heaven that we came from and will return to, and that our choices determine our eternity.

  • Where did this idea come from?

The idea for No Angel came from several personal experiences and a strong belief in God and life before life and after life.

  • Who was your favorite character to develop?

I’d say Jonathan was my favorite character to develop. Right off the bat, my writing group fell in love with him, even though he was hardly loveable. He was a fun character to create.

  • Any advice for aspiring authors?

Yes! If you desire to be a writer, then you CAN do it! But you must be willing to put in the work – learn the craft through study and practice, and believe in yourself! I highly recommend joining a writing group that has your best interest in mind, and preferably, your same standards.

  • What can we expect next from you?

I’ve already written two additional angel books, the second of which is in its final stages of beta-editing. It’s called Occasionally Yours and its set entirely in the premortal existence. It’s my favorite, by-the-way. I LOVE the story! I love No Angel, love, love, love it! But Occasionally Yours, in my opinion is twice as good!

  • Where can we purchase your book?

You can purchase No Angel at Deseret Book, Pioneer Book, or any LDS bookstore. You can also purchase it at Barnes & Noble, order it through any bookstore, or online at Amazon.com, among several online stores. I have those purchase links listed on my author blog at http://theresasmallsneed.blogspot.com. I love to meet my readers and I have several book signings coming up. I always post the most current on my author site. I also would LOVE to be invited as a guest speaker at any book reading clubs that choose No Angel! If I can’t physically be there because of distance, I would still LOVE to visit with them through skypes!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting novel. Thank you for the interview and I look forward to reading No Angel.

    ReplyDelete