Thursday, July 26, 2012

Possession by Elana Johnson--Book Review and Interview

POSSESSION by Elana Johnson.

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It kept me turning the pages although I found myself a bit confused with somethings that seemed to come out of nowhere. The characters were fun, but I did get mad at them at times for vacilating between whether or not to like each other or be mad at each other. The ending caught me off guard. My first thought was, "Well, now I have to read the second one." It was a good read that had some language that wasn't needed. I can recommend it to most anyone.

Like Elana's Facebook page and read the first 110 pages for free.

:) :) :) :

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.








What made you decide to become a writer?

I had suffered through something tragic in my life, and writing became the escape for those negative emotions. I first wrote my life history before turning to fiction, and I’ve enjoyed it so much, I’m still writing! And since I can’t just do something halfway, I researched how to get published, and pursued that.
Who inspires you?

Anyone who works for something and achieves it. Right now I’m watching the Olympic trials, and every single athlete I see inspires me. 
What would you like your readers to get out of your writing?

Honestly, I hope they just enjoy the story. I read for pure escapism and enjoyment, and I hope to provide that for readers.
Where did this idea come from?

I had just read UGLIES by Scott Westerfeld and wanted to write a book “like that.” But I didn’t know what dystopian was, so I had to do some research first. Once I figured it out, I knew I needed a government that looks good, but actually isn’t. So I came up with the brainwashing Thinkers and the angry girl who doesn’t want to be told what to do all the time. 
Who was your favorite character to develop?

I’ll admit that I love Jag. He’s complex, yet simple at the same time. And he does give me fits sometimes…
Any advice for aspiring authors?

My best advice is to write a lot. Practice really does make perfect in writing. 
What can we expect next from you?

Oh, many things! I have another dystopian, a science fiction tale, a fantasy, and some contemporary on the horizon!
Where can we purchase your book?

You can go to Simon & Schuster’s page, and then pick the retailer of your choice. http://books.simonandschuster.com/buy/Possession/9781442421264/from-other-retailers#book_retailers

No comments:

Post a Comment