Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Human Insticts by Ioana Visan--Book Review & Interview


HUMAN INSTINCTS by Ioana Visan. I found this novella interesting. The concept intrigued me, but I think I would have liked having a little bit more detail about things right off the bat. I learned and understood better as the story progressed. The characters were interesting as were the circumstances behind everything. I would recommend this book to almost anyone, especially those who like post apocalyptic works.

:) :) :)

Dr. Deanna Nichols is a geneticist searching for a cure to save the world. After the war nearly destroyed it by releasing an aggressive virus, it was the vaccine that killed the humanity’s chances for progress and survival. Deanna feels guilty because she has participated in creating the vaccine, and General Mackenzie never lets her forget that.

Their luck changes when they are contacted by the convicts held in a secret military prison hidden in the arctic desert. The C deviance criminals are willing to negotiate and provide unaffected DNA samples in exchange for supplies and a visit paid by the doctor herself. Suddenly there’s hope, so Deanna embarks on a dangerous journey to a grittier reality than she had expected.

Could a woman alone save the world? 

(Cover and back cover blurb taken from Smashwords.)


What made you decide to become a writer?

Over the years, simple daydreaming turned into writing, and then I discovered that people actually liked my stories. I still write first and foremost for my own enjoyment, but the satisfaction is bigger now that other people read it too.

Who inspires you?

I don’t know if it’s a ‘who’. If we’re talking about writing, to me inspiration comes either from images that spark an idea of a plot in my mind, or from ideas that I twist around until I get new, unusual ones. If we’re talking about life in general, I look up to people able to find solutions to difficult problems. Because there’s always a solution, you just have to look for it in the right place or be brave enough to try it.

What would you like your readers to get out of your writing?

I’d like my readers to have a pleasant experience. If the story makes them think too, then it’s even better.

Where did this idea come from?

The story was initially meant for an apocalyptic anthology, but I didn't want it to be something depressing. Therefore, I focused on an isolated case and not on the post-apocalyptic world itself. I also knew I wasn't interested in the technological part but more in the psychological concepts and issues, and I wanted a strong female protagonist. It worked so well that the story ended up longer than planned and, when the project fell apart, I decided to publish it as a novella.

Who was your favorite character to develop?

Each one of the characters was interesting in their own way because they are all very different and served a special purpose in the story. This being said, I must confess that as a writer I am more fascinated by the interaction between characters than by the characters alone.

Any advice for aspiring authors?

Read a lot, write a lot, edit a lot. Then start all over again and, as long as you enjoy the process, never give up.

What can we expect next from you?

“Blue Moon Café: Where Shifters Meet for Drinks” (a werecreatures story collection) is supposed to be out in December 2012, and “The Impaler’s Revenge” (a vampire novella) is scheduled for the spring of 2013. After that, I’ll be working on a fantasy trilogy and a sci fi saga.

Where can we purchase your book?

Human Instincts is available as an e-book through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iTunes, Sony and Smashwords.

THANKS IOANA!

No comments:

Post a Comment