Saturday, June 7, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A MOM


This last Sunday we had a lesson on trials, adversity, and burdens. I don’t remember all of it but I remember the thought that continually played through my head. It began with a comment from a sister who had a child pass away during his teen years. She mentioned that there came a point in time when she had to make the choice of whether to be bitter or whether to learn and grow from her experience.

That got me thinking about my situation. I remember thinking the same thing. Although I’m not sure if my choice was conscious or not. I think it may have been a little bit of both. I can see how I could have become very bitter and frustrated when Lion was called home. I could have been angry, but I wasn’t.

I’ve had several people ask me how I’ve “handled” the situation so well. How I’m able to cope and everything that goes with it. I can’t say exactly how. The only thing I can attribute it to is I made the decision not to be mad and bitter. And that choice wasn’t necessarily made in the middle of the situation. It was made before.

I truly believe that everyone will come to the point where they have to make the decision to not be bitter or to allow that bitterness in. That kind of a choice is always easier outside of the not fun situation. Not everyone is allowed that time frame though, I understand that. At the same time though, most of us have the opportunity to think about how we might react to different situations. The specific situation isn’t necessary as important how we choose to respond and who we choose to trust.

That’s really been what’s run through my head this week, especially in light of some very difficult situations several of my neighbors are going through. Life has a way of throwing curve balls and we need to be as ready as we can in a sense. Choosing to not be bitter, in my opinion, is probably the best first step. 

I know I end a lot of posts this way, but it gives you an indication as to how scrambled my brain is. Hopefully this is making sense and hopefully it helps at least someone. Life is good, even in the midst of our hard times. Try to remember that and Hang in there. :)

2 comments:

  1. It's so true, Bonnie, that ultimately, we decide to be bitter or have peace, to be angry or not, to forgive or hold grudges. The beauty of the gospel is that it provides the how to do these things. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete